Client: BHP’s Groote Eylandt Mining Company (GEMCO)
Project: Transition Project
AWX tendered and won as sole contractor to BHP for the “Transition Project” at BHP’s Groote Eylandt Mining Company (GEMCO). Stage One was the transition of 150 operators and tradespersons, then stage two was a further 300 roles across from labour hire providers and contractors.
- Advertise – Seek and newspapers in Cairns, Darwin, Townsville & Mount Isa
- Short List over 1500 applicants
- Phone Screen 500 applicants
- Arrange conference rooms in Cairns and Darwin
- Schedule interviews in Cairns and Darwin over 3 weeks coordinating the rostering of external and existing staff (operators 2/1 and maintenance 7/7)
- McQuaig testing for all applicants scheduled for interviews
- Every GEMCO employee that applied had to be interviewed
- Behavioural interview questions prepared specifically for GEMCO by AWX
- Panel interview with 1 AWX representative and 2 GEMCO supervisors
- Conducted a total of 240 interviews over 3 weeks
- 2 ref checks for the 150 candidates selected for a position
- Candidate pack including resume, AWX Personality and safety testing, tickets, qualifications and reference checks prepared for all 240 applicants interviewed
- Electronic file for each 240 applicants interviewed presented to BHP
- Report compiled for GEMCO’s Human Resource division on outcome of process
Given AWX’s ability to coordinate such a project within a tight deadline ensured the project was an outright success. As recognition of our success AWX was then awarded the project for the second stage of GEMCO’s initiative i.e. 300 contract personnel to transition.
AWX has supplied transitional pricing as part of the revised pricing for Downer to offer further savings and sustainability for Downer using local AWX offices in metro, remote and regional areas.