Environmental Scientist (Graduate) IND and TSI Identified
|Job title:||Environmental Scientist (Graduate) IND and TSI Identified|
|Contact name:||Cam Abrahams|
AWX Pty Ltd is part of the larger group, People Infrastructure Ltd. In 2019, People Infrastructure Ltd (PPE) became the largest ASX listed workforce management and staffing company in ANZ. The business is Australian owned and passionate about helping individuals achieve their career goals as well as helping clients manage their workforce.
Our client is a leading Queensland environmental services company that has been commissioned to undertake one of the largest biodiversity and offset area management projects in Queensland. Due to our client's success and expansion of its organisation it is looking to employ an Environmental Scientist (Graduate). We are seeking an enthusiastic, self-motivated graduate environmental scientist / field ecologist to contribute to the implementation of a major mining industry related biodiversity and offset area management project.
The client is committed to delivering a high-quality service and is looking for someone that shares that commitment. Our client works in an exciting cross-cultural context, enabling First Nations people to be engaged in the environmental management of their traditional lands, and is committed to:
- Supporting First Nations people to look after culture and country
- Creating viable projects that result in employment opportunities for First Nations people; and
- Through education and training, establishing pathways for young First Nations people to be employed and have careers as environmental professionals.
About the Role
This is a full-time position, (7-on x 7-off Roster), based at Moray Downs West near Clermont and requires the successful candidate to live locally or relocate to a town serviced by fly-in fly-out arrangements such as Rockhampton or Townsville. The Environmental Scientist (Graduate)'s day to day work will include practical environmental monitoring and land management activities in support of and under the direction of environmental scientists engaged in the conservation of biodiversity and land management.
The position/s will only be open to Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander applicants.
The filling of this position/these positions is intended to constitute a special/equal opportunity measure under section 8(1) of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth), and section 105 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1991 (QLD).
Key Duties and Accountabilities
The position requires the successful applicant to be accountable for the following:
- Implementing practical environmental management activities (environmental monitoring, scientific record keeping, weed and feral animal control, erosion and sediment control, fencing and watering point management, vegetation and fire management, and sustainable grazing land management) to achieve biodiversity and land management outcomes;
- Carrying out practical environmental management activities under the guidance of the environment managers and the supervising ranger, and in accordance with statutory requirements and to agreed performance standards; and
- Contributing effectively to a small team of operational staff who undertake practical environmental and land management activities.
- The performance of this role involves a seven (7) days on and seven (7) days off roster.
- Intrastate travel involving road / airline travel and overnight absences from home is required in this role.
- Participation in wild-fire management and the handling of wildlife are required in this role.
- It is a standard requirement for employment in this role, that a successful candidate:
- be an Australian citizen/permanent resident or be the holder of a visa that allows permanent full-time work in Australia at the time of making an application
- undertake a pre-employment medical review;
- agree to be subject to random alcohol and drug testing;
- agree to abide by the Workplace Health and Safety requirements of Woongal Environmental Services and its clients; and
- agree to undertake and successfully complete post-graduate studies in environmental science, environmental management or natural resource management.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in environmental science, environmental management or natural resource management.
- Must be the holder of an unrestricted Class 'C' driver's licence or capable and willing to obtain such a licence - certification for driving and recovering 4WD Vehicles would be beneficial.
- Must be the holder of a Standard 11 Mine Safety Induction (Surface) Certificate or capable and willing to obtain such a certificate - additional certification in First Aid would be beneficial.
Skills and Experience
- Experience in practical land management covering environmental monitoring, fauna spotting, weed and feral animal control, erosion and sediment control, fencing and watering point management, vegetation and fire management, and sustainable grazing land management.
- Demonstrated ability and physical fitness to undertake practical physical work involving walking and manual labour in the outdoors.
- Practical experience in building and maintaining collaborative working relationships as part of a team.
- Communicates effectively with internal and external clients to provide responsive, accurate and relevant information and services (Customer Focus)
- Works effectively in a team environment and exercises tact, diplomacy and discretion when required (Interpersonal Savvy)
- Uses initiative to respond to challenges in a pressured and changing environment (Action Oriented)
- Has the ability and commitment to learning and self-development (Self Development)
Culture and Benefits
People love working with our client because it provides a safe and flexible working environment. Working for our client will provide you room to grow and develop new skills as an environmental professional.
Our client values working with and encouraging the development of First Nations people in caring for country and achieving environmental outcomes.
How to Apply
Click APPLY to send your resume and cover letter. Please note, this is NOT an entry level position. Only experienced applicants need apply